In doing the New Literacies Project, I was happy to have
taken the time to learn a new literacy and a new technology. Kidblog.org is a
technology that was completely unfamiliar to me. Therefore, in order to get the
most out of the technology, I had to take my time and learn the ins and outs of
the website. This helped add to my knowledge about technology. As students
explore with technology, they should be given time to explore that technology
and independently figure out some of the features of the program. No one person
has all the answers when encountering something new. Students need to be given
instructions on how to use technology after it has been explored. Therefore, as
a teacher, knowing the technology I am introducing to my students and knowing
it well is important for myself as well as my students.
I enjoyed the affordances of Kidblog. As a teacher using
Kidblog, I have the ability to create a safe, user-friendly blog page. I have
the ability to approve posts and comments before they are made public. I can
also make the blog page public or private in which students would have to have
a username in order to view posts or comment. This ensures internet safety,
which is important as students access technology. The blog page theme can be
changed so that it is usually appealing for students. The organization of the
page makes this technology accessible for all users.
Kidblog allows for teachers to provide effective literacy
instruction for students in regards to emotional literacy. Emotional literacy
is “the ability to recognize, understand, and appropriately express our
emotions”. As a teacher, students can use the blog page to respond to prompts
focused on developing emotional literact. Through this project, I learned that
emotional literacy is imperative in students’ academic performance. I learned
that literacy can be taught through technology once students gain basic
technology skills such as typing, getting onto the internet, using navigation
keys, and basic open/close actions. As a teacher, I would instruct students on
how to navigate around the blogpage.
As far as emotional literacy, students will have to know the
definition and importance of emotional literacy. This will help motivate students
once they learn the benefits of being emotionally literate. Students will have
to learn how to appropriate express emotions and respond to the emotions of
others. This would be developed through activities, some with the blog. I would
provide this support by conducting lessons that will help students understand what emotional literacy is. I would like
to do skits or read books that promote emotional literacy before introducing
students to the blog.
No comments:
Post a Comment